Do I need a 'translator' or an 'interpreter'?

If you need a written document translated into another language, then you need a translator/translation.
If you need a person to help you communicate orally with someone who speaks another language, you need an interpreter. 

Does CITS provide interpretation and translation services?

CITS is not a service center and cannot provide these services. The State of Hawaii Office of Language Access (OLA) offers an online roster of interpreters and translators which can be accessed here. The translators and interpreters who have applied to be included in this Roster are listed according to language and geographic location. 

Does one need a certified (true) translation?
Some agencies do require a certified translation (e.g. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) and others don't. 

If you have questions related to Prospective Students, click here.
If you have questions related to our Academic Program, click here.
If you have questions related to our Summer Intensive Interpreter Training (SIIT), click here.