Chinese 301 Class Evaluation
1. What do you like the most about this course? Explain.
- I really like the computer section and the TV series section of the course.
- I think those are really helpful for our writing and listening skills.
- It does have much homework and it is not hard because I already know Chinese.
- The course is very interactive and contemporary. Not very boring.
- This class has a lot of interaction which I think makes the class much more interesting.
I also feel that the more interactive style in which the class is taught in precipitates
better and more learning.
- I like the method of teaching. It's more free and not boring.
- I like watching the videos. It's good experience in understanding real-life
- The teacher is very funny. She made this course fun for the students because she
sometimes like to joke.
- The teacher, because you are very understanding, and the class does not feel very
pressing to me. I usually feel very intimidated in class, but I feel less intimidated in
this class. (about my Chinese skills).
- I enjoyed the teaching method the most, especially when I spoke in Chinese, I could
learn a lot.
- I like how you speakyou are clear and easy to understand, I enjoy the speaking
exercises you make us do in class to improve our communication skills. I like the oral
presentations and the frequent quizzes.
- I like that fact that there is a lot of student participation required. It's great that
we are able to use our speaking, listening and writing skills to such a large extent. And,
I think that it is fantastic that we can't waste a lot of class time going line by line
through the text.
- I like the class size. It's a very small class compared to my other classes. we get more
student-teacher interaction and more class participation opportunities.
- I like the group work with the worksheets. We learn about the different items pertaining
to the lesson. Examples: recipes, menus
- It's fun, time goes by fast. Best course I have this semester.
2. What do you like the least about this course? Explain.
- I don't really like the speech part, because I am not a good public speaker.
- This course is one of my favor courses. Comparing to my other courses, I have the least
comment on this class. At least, I couldn't tink of any right now.
- The disparity in the cover of achievement of the students. Chinese and even local
Chinese student already have well-developed listening skills. Other students cannot keep
up without holding other students back.
- Since we are not like a traditional class, I don't learn that much vocab. Because I
guess I don't study it myself during my free time.
- TV programs are kind of outdated and depressing.
- Sometimes we don't really get much done in class, but it's fun though.
- The videos: too much accent
- Group work; it's boring.
- I don't like having to come to class everyday.
- There is nothing that I really don't like, but I think that the hardest part of the
class is the short plays. I find them very hard to follow.
- Not enough student interaction.
- We take too long on each chapter. I think if we moved through the textbook quicker. We
would be inclined to study more to keep up. Also, more speaking exercises would be good.
- I like virtually all aspects of the class. If I were to modify anything, it would be the
time spent in the computer lab. It seems that there is a fair amount of time wasted just
working out technical problems. I thought that the time spent in the chat rooms was
- Sometimes we go too fast. We advance to the text lesson before the students are fully
knowledgeable of the current lesson. The instructor should spend more time explaining the
- Learning the grammar points on my own, writing compositions on the computer takes too
- We should have more Chinese cultural stuff. The food thingy was good. But it would be a
lot more interesting if we went beyond watching the T.V. show from the red book. Have
excursions, watch mafia movies, go for dim sum, etc.
3. Any comments regarding Friday's computer Lab
- I think it is really helpful and useful for us.
- Although I don't enjoy deal with computer much, because I know I am good at it. Yet, I
think Friday's computer lab sessions are very helpful to me. I think it's a great
opportunity for me to face my fear.
- Very interesting personally, but didn't do much in understanding Chinese.
- It is okay, but it's hard to type whole essay with 50 min.
- Very good knowledge for the future and a good change of pace from the classroom setting.
- The computer sessions are fun and interesting. Please continue them.
- I like Friday's computer Lab sessions.
- Good practice for typing Chinese.
- I think Friday's lab sessions are very useful. It's a new twist from just staying from
the book which is boring.
- I really like it because I have never had a language course use the computers before. It
is a nice change of pace.
- Sometimes some students could not use the computers. We need more computers.
- I think for the most part the lab sessions on the computers are the waste of time. It
takes too long getting started, setting up the computers, etc... and really we are not
learning that much. I think assignments on the computer would be more productive because
we could do it on our own time.
- I think Friday's computer lab sessions are really fun and interesting. They're good
- I like the lab sessions but it takes too long to type Chinese Twinbridge.
- New learning experience. I enjoy it very much. You should offer Twinbridge for the
student to utilize for home and project etc.
4. Any suggestions for the instructor?
- Please speak a little but slower sometimes, especially when the sentences include the
- I enjoy your teaching style. Not many instructors able to make their subjects
interesting as how you make yours.
- The test is kind of easy, because it seem like everyone high grade. And since the
homework is not turn in people don't do it. I think they don't learn as much as they
- If you could please go over the vocabulary briefly. I think this could benefit our
- The instructor is nice and friendly. I think everybody in this class likes her.
- More emphasis on textbook characters.
- Assign more short homework instead of long compositions.
- Maybe go through more of the scenes (in the play) and translate or discuss more what is
going on. That way we don't have to do guess as much.
- You are great!
- I would love to get more into periodicals and current events of the mainland.
- The instructor is very nice.
- I like your enthusiasm... You should move the rubbish can located by the door. You seem
to constantly trip over it. We wouldn't want you to get hurt.
5. Please write any additional comments concerning the weakness and/or
strengths of this course, and what changes you feel could be made to improve this course,
- Maybe teacher can help us to organize some small groups to study together outside of the
class to help each other to learn better.
- I guess this class has a lot of variety compare to other, so you learn more, but since
it's not necessary to do a lot of work. For people who are lazy do not learn at all.
- The computer class is very helpful, the only recommendation is maybe more homework on a
- The T.V. watching sections are kinda difficult to understand and not that interesting.
- Sometimes the instructor needs to explain more fully in English to some of the students
that don't understand.
- Some students seem lost while in class, maybe the teacher should go over the text of
each lesson in class.
- I like the class activities and I feel that the quizzes and exams are very fair.
- The organization of this course is very strong with various ways to learn and study
- I think it would be good to trade some computer lab times with group speaking or vocab
exercises-- tone work? Also, if we could spend more than 2 days on the movie scripts we
would get more out of the extensive new vocab.
- I think that essay writing is one of the best ways to improve our language skill. As
much of a torture as it can be, the more writing the better.
- We should encourage oral participation in class.